Frequent questions

Do I have to declare the value of my cargo?
Any content whose value exceeds 1 UTM must be declared and accredited by the customer through tax documents that support it. In case Bus-Sur loses your carg...
Tue, 29 Nov, 2022 at 5:36 PM
What can I do in case of loss of cargo?
Claim forms are available at our offices to request the replacement of the value of the contents, which is subject to a maximum reimbursement of 1 UTM in th...
Tue, 29 Nov, 2022 at 6:00 PM